9 Ways to Burn More Calories Away From the Gym
There is never enough time it seems. At least that’s what we tell ourselves when we put our fitness on the to-do later list. But, what if I told you that time wasn’t an obstacle and that you could easily include some exercise into your life, but you just have to get more creative? Incidental exercise can do the trick. There are ways to burn more calories away from the gym!
I’m definitely a big fan of the morning workout, but sometimes this just isn’t always possible. Think about the times you have done your workout first thing in the morning, how good did you feel for the rest of the day? There is something empowering about starting your day that way!
Unfortunately, some mornings it's hard to get up for that 5 am spin class. Maybe you worked late or didn’t sleep well or maybe you’re just not a morning person, so the next best thing is the lunchtime workout and including more incidental exercise in your daily routine! When you are busy, it's all about getting smarter with your workouts and where and how you fit exercise into your schedule.
We all know that including exercise in your weekly routine is not only important for the mind, but it is also important for our general health. Research shows that exercise boosts productivity and can alleviate stress when life gets a little rough. Working up a sweat can also help reduce the risk of some cancers, help you get more restful sleep and keep your weight at a healthy level. It will also give you more energy to do your day-to-day tasks, improve your moods and can help combat depression and anxiety. Some studies even suggest exercise is as effective as antidepressant medication!
When you can only seem to schedule in one workout session some weeks, it’s really important to include incidental exercise as much as you can into your days. So, it's time to say goodbye to common conveniences! Yes, but why would you want to do this? Because my friend, your goal is to move more. Here are some tips to get moving:
Incidental Exercise Suggestions
- Walk more! Say goodbye to the closest bathroom, parking spot, and shortcut across the park.
- Get off the bus or train a stop too early or park your car further away.
- Take the stairs and not the escalator or elevators (medical conditions permitting).
- When taking phone calls, pace around the home or office at the same time.
- Go for walks or do yoga stretches during your lunch break. This is also great because sunshine does wonders for the mind and body, and it will get the blood and heart pumping, burn extra calories and help you de-stress from the morning.
- Why not get yourself a pedometer and aim to increase your weekly target! Challenge yourself to move more!
- Get fidgeting! Did you know that if you wiggle around and tap your feet often enough, you can burn off a few extra 100 calories per day!
- Socialize on your feet! Meet girlfriends for a walk and talk instead of a food and coffee sit down.
- Stairs are one of my favorite go-to exercises, especially when time is limited, purely because you get more done in such a short amount of time. High-Intensity workouts are a great cardio and resistance-based exercise combo and are a fantastic weight-loss tool.
Staying healthy and fit is all about being creative to keep you interested and motivated. Try finding an activity that you enjoy, grab a friend to keep you accountable and try out something new together! Acrobatic yoga, trampoline jumping, dancing, swimming, roller skating. . . the list is endless, just move that beautiful body more! Written by Rebecca Neale of www.foodfitnesswellness.com and find her on Instagram at @foodfitnesswellness.