Spelt and Protein Scones
Here is a protein-filled alternative to a usually carbohydrate dominated treat. Your taste buds won't believe this Spelt and Protein Scones recipe is low-sugar, not to mention packed with protein.
- 1½ cups plain spelt flour
- ½ cup Just Natural or Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sieve flour, protein and baking powder into a bowl. Rub butter into sifted ingredients until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut sugar and milk and combine until mixture is soft but not sticky. Mixing with your hands is best but a spatula will also work.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and knead into shape until smooth. Try not to overwork the mixture or the scones could become tough.
- Flatten dough out to about 4 cm and use a round cutter to cut scones starting from the center and working your way out. Cut slightly higher rounds from left over dough.
- Place rounds on a lined oven tray with sides just touching.
- Brush tops with a little milk before placing them in the oven for 12-15 mins or until golden.
- Serve with jam and cream or ricotta.