Vegan Vanilla Cream-Filled Donuts
If dairy is not your friend, but donuts are, this is the recipe for you! Proofing dough and making anything bread related might seem like a daunting task, but believe me, it's not as bad as you think. Homemade fluffy donuts filled with whipped vanilla cream are worth the extra adventure in the kitchen. Give these Vegan Vanilla Cream-Filled Donuts a try today.
For the doughnuts:
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp soft vegan butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 cups + 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan whipping cream
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Warm the soy milk along with the vegan butter in a pot until lukewarm. Transfer to a measuring jar. Add a tablespoon of the sugar, a tablespoon of the flour, and the yeast and stir to combine. Let the mixture rest until the yeast froths (10 mins).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add applesauce and pour in the yeast mixture, and mix using a stand mixer with dough hooks for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and proof in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size (1 hour).
- Turn out the dough on to a floured surface and using a rolling pin roll it out.
- Using a round cookie cutter or cup, cut out the donuts rounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space apart. Cover and let rise again until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Carefully place 3 or 4 donuts in to the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot. Cook on one side for about 1 minute or until golden. Turn over the donuts with a large spoon and cook the other side.
- Remove the donuts and place on a kitchen paper for a minute to drain. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Toss the donuts in sugar and cinnamon.
If you want to bake the donuts:
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the top of the Donuts with melted butter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until risen and dark golden.
Vanilla Cream filling:
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl beat the vegan cream cheese until creamy, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Fill the cream mixture to a piping bag fitted with a long filling tip. Insert the tip into the side of a doughnut and squeeze the filling inside to fill.