9 min read
4 FANTASTIC GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN DONUT RECIPES
Everyone loves donuts but it's far fetched to find donuts that aren't filled with dairy, gluten and packed with sugar! These four donut recipes are all dairy-free, gluten-free and low sugar optional. Plus, they are all created with Clean Lean Protein, which aides in preventing a sugar crash and will keep your hunger cues at bay for a little longer than the typical donut that you'll find at the store.
PUMPKIN PROTEIN DONUTS WITH MAPLE GLAZE
Recipe Courtesy of Natalie Pupo, @thenaturallynatalie
- 1/2 cup Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp non-dairy plain cream cheese
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease donut pan with coconut oil spray so the donut don't stick to pan and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients (protein powder, coconut flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon) together in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients (pumpkin, applesauce, eggs and vanilla) and whisk together. Add wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together until well incorporated.
- Transfer batter to a large Ziplock bag - (using this as a piping bag) Snip a small hole in one of the bottom corners of the bag and evenly pipe batter into donut pan.
- Transfer donuts to oven to bake for 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick in inserted into the donut and comes out clean. After the donuts have finished baking, let cool for 7 minutes and then remove donuts from pan for an extra few minutes to cool completely.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare the glaze. This will look like hardly anything, but a little goes a long way! I glazed 12 donuts with only one serving of the glaze! Combine all ingredients in a small flat bowl which is wide enough to dip an entire donut in. Carefully pick up each of the donuts and dunk the tops into the glaze. Sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container, placed in the refrigerator or freezer.
VEGAN VANILLA CREAM FILLED DONUTS
For the donuts:
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp soft vegan butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 cups + 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour (can sub gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan whipping cream
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Warm the soy milk along with the vegan butter in a pot until lukewarm. Transfer to a measuring jar. Add a tablespoon of the sugar, a tablespoon of the flour, and the yeast and stir to combine. Let the mixture rest until the yeast froths (10 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add applesauce and pour in the yeast mixture, and mix using a stand mixer with dough hooks for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and proof in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size (1 hour).
- Turn out the dough on a floured surface and using a rolling pin roll it out.
- Using a round cookie cutter or cup, cut out the donuts rounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space apart. Cover and let rise again until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Carefully place 3 or 4 donuts in to the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot. Cook on one side for about 1 minute or until golden. Turn over the donuts with a large spoon and cook the other side.
- Remove the donuts and place on a kitchen paper for a minute to drain. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Toss the donuts in sugar and cinnamon.
If you want to bake the donuts:
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the top of the Donuts with melted butter.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until risen and dark golden.
Vanilla Cream filling:
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl beat the vegan cream cheese until creamy, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Fill the cream mixture to a piping bag fitted with a long filling tip. Insert the tip into the side of a doughnut and squeeze the filling inside to fill.
CHOCOLATE PROTEIN DONUTS
For the Donuts:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Rich Chocolate Clean Lean Protein
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 bananas)
- 1/2 peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg)
For the Icing:
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease your donut pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, Nuzest protein, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the mashed banana, 1/2 cup peanut butter, agave, almond milk and egg. Whisk together until combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until they are well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into the prepared donut pan and bake for 14-15 minutes.
- Let the donuts cool in pan.
Now for the icing!
- Add chocolate chips and peanut butter to a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for two 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Dip the top of each donut into the chocolate peanut butter glaze and let any excess glaze drip off before returning to the wire rack.
- Enjoy them while they’re hot! Then store at room temperature and enjoy within 2-3 days.
STRAWBERRY GLAZED DONUTS
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup Wild Strawberry Clean Lean Protein
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup strawberries (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup strawberries (diced)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease donut pan (6 wells) with cooking spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add in wet ingredients and fold in the strawberries until the batter is smooth.
- Pipe the better into the donut pan (Until the batter *almost* reaches the top).
- Bake for 10-13 mins and let them cool before icing.
- For the glaze combine all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender until combined.
- Dip the donuts into the glaze and place on a wire rack.